Pages



Wednesday, September 26, 2012

One more?

I would really love to have three kids. Hell, I'd take ten of them if it were all really possible, but I feel like any more than 3 would probably ruin me mentally. Let's be real here, I wasn't given any more patience than is absolutely necessary for one human being to function with.

But it probably is not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, neither one of us is going to high tail it on over to the snip snip doctor, but long gone are the days of the last two years which were filled with, "Let's do this!" and high fives and chest bumps and positive pregnancy tests and whatnot. I know how lucky I am to have two little guys to share my life with but, really, two kids is a hard gig, man. I leave for work at 6am, get home after 5 and there's just enough time to hang out for a bit, then eat dinner, then scrub some butts in the bath and finally we end it all with a good, long night filled with sleep. Well, some of us do. My parents watch the kids a few days a week, J has them to himself one day, I have them one day, we share Saturdays and then Sundays are kind of a mish mash of all of those set ups. I can't imagine calling my mom up and saying, "Guess what? You've got one more monkey to wrangle!" Like my grandma told her, "We'll watch these two, no problem, but we will not watch a third. So don't even think about it."

The money thing, eh, who knows. I only know how much it costs to have a baby and raise it up until about the two year point. Anything after that is just a guess. Public school, get a job, buy your own damn car/it's called the bus, no I will NOT be helping you with paying for college but I sure will help you pack, etc etc. It's all a guessing game at this point. Could we financially swing another? Probably. But we also don't plan on paying for every single thing they want for the rest of their lives. We already have the mini van (more on that later) and the cloth diapers, enough clothes to cover a small army and everything else a baby may need saved up from the first go-round. That's not the issue. As each day goes by and my kids get bigger and their screams get louder and their hugs get stronger, I just don't think I really have it in me to be able to survive another. Emotionally, it's hard. Physically, it's even tougher. We may have a big enough car and a (barely) big enough house and a big enough spot in our hearts for one more but, we're tired. And I don't see that getting any easier any time soon.

Plus, what if it ends up being twins? Holy shit.

5 comments:

  1. I'd say wait until your littler little is about a year and a half and then reconsider. :-D But, yes, please make more babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If all else fails, we can keep the third one in our car.

      Delete
  2. I could have written this myself. We are back and forth on the issue of a 3rd... It took me almost two and a half years to come around to the idea of a 2nd kid - but this time around, I was still in the hospital with Henry when I was like "Yeah I could do this again." But I'm so frigging exhausted with two although I know it gets better.. For every negative reason there is a positive. I think we will probably make a decision in another year or so.

    Funny cause all through my last pregnancy I kept saying that I was done, no more kids for me, blah blah blah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After Sam was born, I was all "Let's have a third NOW!" right away. That would mean three under three. But as the days go on, I think I'm going to need a lot more time to get used to two before I can even think about a third.

      Delete