Pages



Monday, October 1, 2012

Burning the oil

I did a really stupid, awful, terrible thing last night.

I stayed up WAY past my bedtime.

There was a time when I stayed up really late. Super late. The kind of late where, even though I was an adult, it felt like I was doing something wrong being up at that hour. Like I was breaking some kind of rule having my eyes open when even the infomercials give up and call it a night. Being up at night is so productive! I mean, even if it means just staring at your computer screen, that's way more than I would be doing if I were sleeping like some kind of bozo.

My mom is a night owl. I can call her at any time and be confident that she is awake, unless it's between 3 and maybe 6. I'm pretty sure that's the time when she's "sleeping". She tells me she started this schedule when my brother and I were little. My dad was a truck driver and on the road way more than he was at home. She would work until 5ish, take the bus home and then come relieve our grandparents from being babysitters. We'd all get home, spend time together and then go to bed. That's when the chores started. I mean, when was she supposed to get the laundry or the yard work or the millions of other things on the to do list done? After we were grown and gone her body was never able to get back to a normal sleep schedule, so she just stays up watching tv or reading or whatever it is she does that late at night.

I could blame staying up late on the kids but, let's be honest here, I don't really have a reason to stay up THAT late. We've made a point to have a schedule and, unless one of them is bleeding from the eyes or screaming like a lunatic, we stick to it. Dinner is demolished by 7, baths shortly thereafter, PJs for both, milk and then bed for Sam, crazy time/maybe a little Netflix streaming and then in bed by 8:30 for Eli. But I can now definitely smell what my mom was cooking all those years. What are adults supposed to do when they work all day, come home and then (obviously) focus all of their attention on the kids until they go to bed? When are we supposed to really hang out, clean some house, do old people stuff and oh, let's go out on a limb here, maybe smooch on each other a little? Duh, after those kids are asleep. So we have a very small window to act like normal people under the safety of our own roof AND we're supposed to be responsible and get the recommended amount of sleep each night? Screw you. It's just not possible.

But last night we acted like crazy fools with no responsibilities at all. I blogged, he went out and got some groceries so no one will starve over the next few days. I drank some fancy person beer, listened to This American Life and then we joined forces and watched the latest Downton Abbey. That gets us to about 10:30. And the next two hours were filled with not much of anything, which was nice because it made me feel like a human being again.

Having a slight hangover headache and both kids awake by the time my alarm went off at 5? Not so great. Not so great at all.

11 comments:

  1. Hiya! Found you through Abi's blog! Just wanted to say hi! x
    http://mamacymraeg.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming over! I really do appreciate it. I'm going to take a look through your blog, hope that's ok. I love your banner with the clothes.

      Delete
  2. Wait, hold on. You still smooch?!?
    Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi to you too! Looks like you have some sweet looking fellas in your life! Your baby boys are adorbs!

    I have been burning the midnight oil a lot this week. Head-cold, coughing fits, insomnia. It's a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was up because of sick stuff, I would be so pissed. Trying to sleep with a cold is one of the worst things ever. Ugh.

      Delete
  4. Pleased to meet you! I'm at work where the technology is backwards and slow and yet, still, I live in terror that big brother knows how much secret blog reading I do around here. I'll be back later to GFC you and snoop around a little bit more. Also, I was up past midnight last night too! It was awesome! A beer happened! The Daily Show ON THE ACTUAL DAY!!! But oof the pain when my 5am alarm sounded. Totally not so great at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh! Thanks for stopping by!

      If you ever find out if my job knows how much I look at the internet, you need to send a carrier pigeon or something.

      Delete
  5. I've always been an early to bed/early to rise kind of gal, but now that I have a kid - I've realized that the ONLY "free" time I get is after he's in bed. This means staying up past 10pm (I know - crazy. I live on the wild side). Unfortunately, Kale is also an "early to rise" kind of guy, so even when I stay up late, I still have to get up early. It's twisted and unfair and basically REALITY for every parent :)

    And...*HIGH FIVE* for Downton. I love this show and this season has NOT let me down!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Story of our life. I get up super early for work 4 days a week, but I'd kind of like to sleep in on the other days. No way.

      And when did Matthew get so blond? Did they have dye back then? And where did that chin of his come from? So many unanswered questions!

      Delete
  6. When I was pregnant, I was so good about going to bed at a reasonable hour and waking up bright and early. But now.. Ugh. It's not good. I'll stay up until 2AM just puttering around online when I should be sleeping. It's just the most opportune time to relax.. Softly snoring baby and husband.. peace and quiet.. eBay, here I come! Pinterest, watch out! It's bad.. so very bad..

    ReplyDelete