Pages



Sunday, October 7, 2012

One two three four

Three years ago I was doing whatever it was that I was doing, probably going to the dog park and sleeping in on the weekends, working the same job that I have now but I rarely had to fight falling asleep at my desk like I do now. Spur of the moment ideas turned into reality without taking an hour for us to get ready, going out for breakfast on the weekends, you know, what people do before they have kids. If you had told me that I would look like this just one short year later, I would have kicked you in the nuts.


I was 28 weeks pregnant, all-in on this whole being a mom thing. I'm sure I was busy making sure we had every single thing ever made for babies ready for the little guy we were waiting on, most of it has gone unused two kids later. I would be a mom a little more than 9 weeks later when I had an emergency c-section and gave birth to Eli at 36 weeks.

Last fall? It looked a little something like this.


Strangely enough, exactly one year after that first photo of me all pregnant was taken and at the same time Eli was hanging out in the front yard, ripping the downspouts off the side of the house, I had this going on.


A ten month old on the outside and an 11 week old on the inside. There was a four or so months of feeling like the only things I was good at were sleeping and barfing, followed by making a really, really concerted effort to keep my eyes open and carve what Eli was doing into my brain so that I would never, ever forget a minute of it.

And now here we are, one more year later, three years after the thought of babies never entered my mind, two years after being pregnant with Eli and worrying constantly about a high-risk pregnancy and getting everything just so so everything was perfect once he was here. One year since he wore his first winter jacket and started pulling up on everything and one year since I was at the beginning of the same journey I first started one year before that. Confused? Well, just look at these pictures from today and don't worry too much about it.


Sam and the all-you-can-eat front yard leaves lunch buffet. Eli kind of sort of helping pick up leaves in the backyard, even if that only means throwing them on the dogs and yelling, "Buh byeeeee!" The perfect little storm made up of an almost 22 month old and an almost 6 month old, creating the perfect little mix of familiarity and new experiences every day.


One hat, two different babies, two different years and I wouldn't trade one bit of it for anything. Everything can be the same on paper, look the same to outside eyes, but every single minute of it has been challenging and and unique and special and perfect to me. 

But, winter, please stay away for at least a little while. I'm not really looking forward to seeing you again.

4 comments:

  1. I love this. And that hat is adorable. I'd sew it onto the dog when Sam's too big for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sam in (eating) the leaves!?!?!! love. <3
    i love getting these emails every day, i even came on here to comment because i love your babies faces that much.
    tell your mom to send me some kids mix hahaha.

    ReplyDelete