Pages



Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Minnesota

I woke up this morning, stumbled into the living room to open the computer and saw the results from yesterday's election. Yes, I stayed up way past my bedtime to see who was crowned King of the Land, but I was anxious to see how my neighbors voted on the local issues.

I'm pretty proud to be a Minnesotan right now.

This is the state I grew up in, came back to after a long absence and the place I will have my final moments in (at least, that's the plan at this point.) I have given birth to my children, married my most favorite person ever and watched the sun rise and set for many years in this place. We may be somewhat passive aggressive, our accents surely provoke giggles in other parts of the world and a majority of us seem to not understand what the purpose of the left lane on a highway is for but, all in all, we're pretty good people. Yes, we look each other in the eye and say hello in passing and the word "pop" gets thrown around way too much for my liking, that I understand. Our longest seasons just might be all of the wrong ones and most food groups come with a stick shoved into them, but this is the state that has my heart. Like anywhere else, all of us do not agree on everything, but at least most of us came together yesterday and agreed that certain groups of our neighbors are just as important as everyone else.


I do think I can speak for everyone when I say that we picked Michelle Bachmann so that you have something to chuckle and roll your eyes at. What can I say, we're generous like that.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe Bachmann was re-elected! You guys be crazy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this post. Way to go, Minnesota! I'm from Florida -- land of the idiots who can't even manage to vote properly -- and have been applauding Minnesota and Maine since the results came in. Good for you guys and here's to hope for the rest of the country!

    ReplyDelete